Rotarians promote high ethical professional standards

NEW WEBSITE

Welcome to our new website. This site contains all of the content that was on the previous site. The formal launch is schedule for our next meeting, Wednesday, January 28, 2015.

Paul P. Harris, an attorney, wanted to create a professional group with the same friendly spirit he felt in the small towns of his youth. On 23 February 1905, Harris, Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, and Hiram Shorey gathered at Loehr’s office in Room 711 of the Unity Building in downtown Chicago. This was the first Rotary club meeting. They decided to call the new club “Rotary” after the practice of rotating meeting locations.

Within five years clubs had formed across the country, from San Francisco to New York.

In August 1910, Rotarians held their first convention in Chicago. The 16 clubs that existed at that time united to form the National Association of Rotary Clubs.

In 1912, the name changed to International Association of Rotary Clubs to reflect the addition of clubs in other countries. The name Rotary International was adopted in 1922.

By July 1925, Rotary had grown to more than 2,000 clubs and an estimated 108,000 members on six continents.

Rotary’s reputation attracted presidents, prime ministers, and a host of other luminaries to its ranks — among them author Thomas Mann, diplomat Carlos P. Romulo, and composer Jean Sibelius.

As Rotary grew, members pooled their resources and used their talents to serve their communities. The organization's dedication to this ideal is best expressed in its motto: Service Above Self.

In 1932, Rotarian Herbert J. Taylor created The Four-Way Test. The test, which has been translated into more than 100 languages, asks the following questions:

Of the things we think, say or do

  • Is it the TRUTH?
  • Is it FAIR to all concerned?
  • Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
  • Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

Community Grants: December 1, 2014 - February 28, 2015

Rotary Club opens application process
for the 2015 Community Grants Program

The Community Grants Program of the Rotary Club of Sebastopol Sunrise provides funding for special projects and/or improvements that are of a one-time nature rather than ongoing operational or consumable costs.

If we do not fund your project at this time, you are welcome to apply again during the next grant application period. Questions? Please contact Alan Bertozzi gobertozzi@gmail.com.To apply, complete the online application.

Apply Now

The Rotary Club of Sebastopol Sunrise provides many community services that are possible as a result of fundraising events throughout the year. Since its founding in May 1997, the Rotary Club of Sebastopol Sunrise has made contributions to our local community through our Community Grants Program.

A sampling of grant recipients includes:

  • Sebastopol Senior Community Center
  • Pine Crest School Playground Improvement
  • El Molino High School Programs: Culinary arts, photo department, woodshop department
  • Analy High School Programs: Speech and debate team, English department, Project graduation, Analy Band, Portable Stage
  • Occidental Volunteer Fire Department
  • Sonoma County Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Program

  • Sebastopol Center for the Arts 
  • The Middle Way 
  • Sebastopol Teen Center 
  • Sebastopol Community Center 
  • Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue 
  • Sonoma County Head Start 
  • Sebastopol Chamber of Commerce 
  • Forestville Firefighters Association 
  • Occidental Volunteer Fire Department 
  • YMCA California Odyssey of the Mind 
  • West County HealthCare Foundation